Meet me and the mr

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday morning fun!!

Okay ... I am not going to be an everyday blogger, but i thought it would be important to share one of my new goals: To get in shape, lose weight, and be healthier!!

I have never been the fittest girl. I have always struggled with my weight all of my life. It use to be that my weight was 10-15-20 lbs over what it should be...currently I am easily 40 lbs overweight (obese as my dr says). Now, i am not mad at my dr for using that word. She has used it for at least 2 years now, while politely telling me that I do not look obese, but my actual weight puts me into that category. I agree that i do not look like what I think "obese" looks like. For the past 2 years i just didn't seem to get it, or maybe i didn't care, either way my exercise routine consisted of leisurely walking and the occasional use the the Shake-Weight that my roommate and I own. I was well aware of my weight and in September became aware of the fact that at the age of 28 i had a blood pressure level that was pretty high. NOT GOOD!! In October I got engaged and it finally hit me...it was no longer about me, but it was now about me living and being healthy for myself, for Charles, for our familes, and for the children we hope to one day have. I did not want to put myself at risk for a hard pregnancy, heart disease, and I certainly do not want to look like a marshmellow on my wedding day. It was time to change my habits....but it was the holidays :( I easily put on 7lbs over Thanksgiving and Christmas so I set myself up to begin my transformation after New Year's (at this time I was 50lbs overweight). This would not be a "resolution" because those never stick, but instead i would label it a goal (one of many) and I decided to literally change my life...and so it began....

January 4th was Day 1...South Beach Diet became my new eating lifestyle (as i like to call it). Carbs make me feel sluggish anyways (and the bloating...ick) and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my veggies and leans meats - HELLO FISH AND SEAFOOD!!! I will, and have already, begin to work the good carbs back in my diet, but really, is anything that's just plain white good for you? Probably not!  Within a week i had already lost around 6lbs-basically taken off the weight i had gained at Christmas. In terms of weight, i am down about 14lbs from the beginning of the month. Now for my workout...basically i started picking it up at the gym and actually sweating. I am in the gym at least 4 days a week, but getting a good workout in 5 days a week. And then there is the running. Like i have already mentioned i began the C25K program last night. I have NEVER run so much as a half a mile ... so to run 3 ... this will begin a series of HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENTS for me ... and better yet, I am already LOVING running! I feel so awesome when i'm done! Plus my longterm goal is to run in the Tybee Half Marathon next year. So, i will keep you all updated  as this journey progresses. I am lucky to have Ms. Brandi Nell the Southern Belle rooting me on, along with other great friends. But most importantly, that man who is brave enough to marry me, he is my biggest cheerleader. He was up with me at 5:30 this morning to workout with me since i can't workout tonight. I know i can get through anything with him and God by my side...it's time i started taking better care of this temple the Lord provided me anyways, don't you think??

~M. Johnson :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Meg! I am so proud of you. You are doing wonderfully. You are beautiful no matter the number, but you are going to feel amazing too. Let me know if I can help in any way. So happy Charles is so supportive. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete